Name:
Location: Mitch Chee Gon, United States

Sunday, December 18, 2005

Christmas

I saw Christmas this morning. Years have twisted my memories and ideals, yet it was there. I saw it.
As a kid you look so forward to Christmas. We grew up with not a lot of material things. We always had love. Clothes. Food. Warm Home. Things Dad and Mom Preached about, but kids want more.
Mom and Dad busted their glutes just to give us the necesseties. They gave us more.
We never went with out.
I always got my favorites, something to add to my Train collection.
Yea, socks and underwear. Hey you don't appreciate it until you have to buy it.
The joy of waking up and sneaking into the Living Room at 5:00 am ( or 3:00 and Mom saying "get back in bed boys, Santa might not be done!")
Warm home made cinnamon rolls, Turkey dinner(my Fave!) or Ham. Relatives,Grandma's and Grandpa's then still with us. Some say Christmas is for kids. I always want to be a kid.
I saw Christmas this morning. It wasn't gift wrapped. It wasn't lingerie under the tree when the boys were asleep.
It wasn't a gift from a jewelery store, or a new Jag. It wasn't a Train or a set of Lego's. It was not a new IPOD.
It was not a Fruitcake.
My best memories are the food so abundantly supplied on our Holidays.
Though Mrs.Gone still makes the best Holiday confections.
My Mom understands, she is proud to know her boys married up.
Christmas is every day, We should celebrate it as such.
One quick thanks to all my friends, Merry Christmas.
You know who you are.
I saw Christmas this morning, 12/18/05.
I saw it again like I did when I was young.
Before Life,Adult life.
Before romantic idealism,
Before cares and concerns of everyday life,
The look and the wonder.
A small boy.
Staring at a lit Chrismas tree.
Knowing a week away is Christmas.
Little hazel eyes, so much like Moms.
Wonder
And Awe.
What is this Christmas thing?
Presents?
The boys have enough Churching to understand.
Probably more than their Dad.
Those little eyes just staring.
The beauty of a decorated tree.
I remember falling asleep by the tree as a kid.
No sugarplums
Trains, yes.
I remember melting tinsel on the hot "big" lights.
I prefer the minilights now.
They look better to me.
I saw Christmas this morning.
I saw the anticipation in a young kids eyes.
I remembered what it was like.
It took me back, I let memories flow.
I saw Christmas this morning.

9 Comments:

Blogger Beerme said...

Very nice piece, Libby Gone™!
Takes me back to yesteryear. My kids are about grown now, though they still love Christmas and all that it represents. I do miss the wonder in those young eyes at the mysteries of Christmas and the unbounded joy and expectations of wonderful and magical things under the tree.

12:24 PM  
Blogger Bunny said...

Beautiful sentiments, Libby! I really enjoyed it.

2:35 PM  
Blogger diablo said...

Nice libby! i want a new Mesa Boogie for krimmis! Gimme' that!

6:34 PM  
Blogger camojack said...

Nice little essay...very evocative. Thanks!

5:17 AM  
Blogger MargeinMI said...

Lovely, just lovely.

Best Christmas memory: Getting a Barbie and HUGE case full of clothes for her. The thrill of all those new outfits, and listening to James Taylor's Mud Slime Slime that my sister got. Hearing that album can take me right back in a heartbeat today.

Have a Merry Christmas Libby and Family, you've been in my prayers, and that offer of hot chocolate and pie still stands!

7:58 AM  
Blogger Libby Gone™ said...

Thanks all for stopping by, Looking forward to a New Year of Humor, Quips and Thoughts to ponder. Blogging is a blast and I will be there trying to to entertain.
Piper, your Mega is going to have to do, besides you got that sweet Cherry stain six string with the hot pickups.
Marge, I love pie and appreciate the offer. Email me anytime. You and Beerme and I still need to get together for coffee. Being neighbors and such... kabaij@comcast.net

9:39 PM  
Blogger mig said...

I remember the best gift I ever got was a teether ball pole. I loved that soo much. Sigh.

8:19 PM  
Blogger Hawkeye® said...

Great piece Libby! Reminds me of couple years ago when I was really moved (by the Holy Spirit?) during preparations for our Christmas Eve celebration.

It might have been the music, but I was suddenly overwhelmed by this sense of how amazingly fortunate we are as Christians to be able to celebrate what others cannot... the coming of God's Son into our world to share our flesh, to share our pain, and to bring hope, light and life into such a desperately dark world of death and destruction.

How empty life must seem for those who do not have such a Messiah to bring them hope and joy.

3:08 PM  
Blogger Libby Gone™ said...

All I can say is Thank you all.
Christ and God are so incomprehensible. Kind words are not however.
Libby is getting his game back on.
The hurt of this betrayal and divorce are being ground into the fire in my belly. 2006. new year. new Libby. Hopefully same family and friends. Plus I may learn how to spell!!

1:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home