Name:
Location: Mitch Chee Gon, United States

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Working on the Railroad





Made a little progress on my trackwork. After completing the inner loop (the one the steam engine is on), I need to start adding spurs and the outer loop. I plan on finishing the track and have it completely tested before scenery is begun. This whimsical scene just came to mind and is not permanent. Work ground to a halt when the Railroad construction crew found the WWI ammo dump. I do have HO scale military equipment and had thought about modeling a WWII base. This would give my 1940's era train equipment something to do.
So far I have assembled small tables in various sizes out of 1X4's and 1/4 luan plywood. They are attached together to form the entire table (approx 9X11 feet) on 4 foot tall legs. The center is open and accessible from outside for maintenance and operation. I covered this with 1 1/2 inch pink insulating foam. Topping that is 2X4 foot ceiling tiles glued upside down. Reason for this is carving out below grade scenery, hills and mountains will grow out of the same materials. These get carved,covered in drywall mud,painted and scenery. Kind of a combination of new techniques and conventional construction.
This scene is the beginning of the "Branch Line". This twisting,rural track will serve Whiskey and Branch Water (The towns, not the drinks, YOU LUSH!)
I will be able to run two trains on the main loops continously, parallel or opposing. On the branch line I can operate independently, switching cars into spurs and assembling trains. Train layouts fall into disrepair after they are completed (NEVER!) and become boring. Some of the kits behind the Engine are in line to populate the railroad, providing a reason to run it when it is operational.
The Great Northern Steam engine is my new favorite. It is digitally remote controlled and has an Awesome sound system. It was common for Lionels to have the " Bells and Whistles" but it is relatively new to HO scale (1 foot on the model equals 87 feet in real life). More to come, soon.

11 Comments:

Blogger Robert said...

Now that I've retired, I should be doing something like this, instead of hanging out in blogs all day. I have a massive family room in the basement of the Possum Den.

I envision a Civil War theme for my layout. The battle of Kennesaw Mountain, which was the key to the railroad supplying Sherman's advance on Atlanta, and the Great Locomotive Chase, which started in the nearby town of Kennesaw, could be sort of combined and condensed into a huge layout. The problem is, such an undertaking could easily cost as much as a new car, or a tank of propane gas this winter.

This looks like great fun, Libby. Keep us wishful dreamers posted on the progress.

9:13 PM  
Blogger camojack said...

I think you should follow the lead of Gomez Addams, and stage train wrecks...

3:04 AM  
Blogger Pat's Rick© said...

Ah, those were the days. Before life got so complicated. Who can keep up?

5:54 AM  
Blogger Libby Gone™ said...

Thanks all for stopping in.
It is a very relaxing hobby, I still have to find time for it, but I force myself for mental health.
That would be a very unique display,possum.
Camo, I have some "beaters" and have considered it.
kajun, only endangered species is my train chasing cat. Our cats used to sleep in my tunnels on my previous layout. Talk about a train wreck!

7:13 AM  
Blogger camojack said...

So, for your cats, the light at the end of the tunnel was an oncoming train, eh?

2:53 AM  
Blogger Libby Gone™ said...

Camo,
Yup, I was picking fur out of the scenery until the day I dismantled that layout. Cats are not allowed in the new train room!

7:23 AM  
Blogger camojack said...

No wild animals have free run in "La Casa de Camo" anymore.

12:36 AM  
Blogger Beerme said...

Libby Gone,

Have you ever visited the model train display in Holly? (I think it's in Holly...) The local model train club renovated an old theater, used the natural slope of the floor to form the maintenance/underside of the large village and built the layout on the flat above the slope. It is a work in progress but is the most elaborate display I've ever seen.

I've often thought of getting into that hobby. It looks fun and rewarding! My brewing takes up most of my free time, though, along with golf, hunting, fishing, camping, skiing and maintaining the homestead (wheeew!).

8:09 PM  
Blogger Libby Gone™ said...

Beerme,
No that's the first I have heard of it. I have to check that out.It's the same for me, too many projects, hobbies, wife and kids,work,irons in the fire,etc...
mostly a late night, can't sleep, tired of the internet thing.
Kajun,
I have the same problem, and they get mad when I whip out my monster driver?????what is up with that???

8:49 AM  
Blogger Hawkeye® said...

Ahhh Libby,
You bring back memories. I was an American Flyer man myself. I still have my old engine and coal car (combo), and the original instruction manual. I don't know where everything else is... I believe it's still in my parents cellar (basement for you mid-Westerners). I will have to resurrect that stuff some day.

Regards,
Hawkeye®

3:45 PM  
Blogger Libby Gone™ said...

hawkeye,
yup I have a few of those in my collection. Nothing like the choo choo sound and smoke! My Dad always wanted them as a kid because they had two rails and were realistic, but was consigned to three rail Marx. (which I also have) I'm a train geek I'll admit it.

8:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home