Name:
Location: Mitch Chee Gon, United States

Thursday, October 20, 2005

Haunted!



It's that time of year and the zombies, ghosts, werewolfs(there wolf)etc. are haunting Libbys Lair.
I have always had a fascination with "Monster" movies, horror stories, ghost tales.
Why? I don't know. As said on previous blogs I loved watching Monster Movies with my Dad.
I walk through the wood any time unafraid, unarmed (sometimes!)I am not easily upset or alarmed. I still love thrills,however.
What is it about being shocked or scared that drives us into theaters? Rent Horror movies? Tell Ghost Stories around the campfire?
These are two of my scarecrows and holiday decor. I love this stuff. I would show more, but I would be indicted and questioned about my connections to Rove and Cheney.
Halloween has become a big thing recently, for better or worse. I keep in mind, it's good to understand the evil imbodied in horror to understand the good.
Selected Watchings:
1) (favorite) Frankenstein (1931) Boris Karloff
1a) Bride of Frankenstein 1935 ( Elsa Lancaster )
2) Van Helsing
3) 1968 Night of the Living Dead
4) 1931 Dracula ( Bela Lugosi)
5) Hammer Films of the same genre (gory)
6) Lon Chaney jr. Wolfman films
The best were the earlier, before you got to see the chainsaw actually cut the head off...
Hitchcock was a Master.
The Birds.
Rebecca, while a love story, is chilling in the coldness.
View from the rear window...
Yet my favorites are the books.
Read Mary Woolstonecraft Shelley,
Bram Stoker,
folklore.
Have you ever heard of the Bearwalk
You will.
Close the curtains...
Pull down the drapes.....
Cozy up to the telly....
and get ready to be AFRAID!!!!!
(courtesy Sir Graves Ghastley!!!!!)

13 Comments:

Blogger Libby Gone™ said...

kajun,
I watched alot of those gory slasher films as a teen in the 80's. kind of lost my taste for them. Hellraiser pretty much did me in.
I forgot to add the comedies like Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein (and others)
and Young Frankenstein (stone, shteen)

7:21 AM  
Blogger UpNorthLurkin said...

Loved Young Fronkenschteen! My two most hated movies because of the gut wrenching horror; The Shining ("here's Johnny") and the end of that one where Michael Douglas had the affair and the spurned exgirlfriend who is supposedly dead in the bathtub, rises up out of the water to try and kill him once again...my husband had a black and blue thigh after that one...the result of my hand squeezing so hard!
And, Libby you have to come back to Scrappleface. The way I look at it is Scott has used our contributions to purchase the new software for the new format. Remember this isn't his full time job...he has his ministry too and is determined to have a "family friendly" blog. I believe him when he says he doesn't have the time to monitor the comments section. This new format can apparently monitor for him. Give the guy a break - he's trying to get rid of the nastiness and keep the rest of us "regulars" happy!!

11:23 AM  
Blogger camojack said...

My favorite haunts are bars...

11:40 AM  
Blogger Libby Gone™ said...

upnorth,
Thank you, I'm lurking but not posting yet.
camo,
I hope that you are speaking of bars where you can purchase adult beverages and not prison......
haha!

4:30 PM  
Blogger MargeinMI said...

UpNorth, I believe "Fatal Attraction" is the title you're looking for. IMO, the rabbit in the pot did me in!

I take personal pride in the fact that I have never seen ANY 'Freddy', Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, or 'Chucky' movie EVER. And don't intend to.

The Shining was a disappointment after the book. I read the chapter of Danny going to Room 237 (?) while in the bathtub. I can empathise with folks that didn't want to take a shower after 'Psycho'!

Scariest movie experience ever: Slumber party when I was 10-11. We stayed up reeeeeeeeal late and watched 'Village of the Damned'. Hence, my aversion to scary movies to this day. :oO

7:33 PM  
Blogger Libby Gone™ said...

Thanks all.
Uncle, I know for a fact Sawsquatch exists. He skwishes my squash ever fall. Truthfully, I think they are real.
kajun,
I'll take some Spanish moss as long as it has not illegally immigrated.
Oh I guess that would be Mehican Moss

8:45 AM  
Blogger Libby Gone™ said...

every fall,
Dam betwisct word verif*&*&cation and spell check I'm DOOMED!

8:47 AM  
Blogger diablo said...

1) Evil Dead2 _The dudes own hand attacks him !
2)The Thing (John Carpenter) Dudes head comes off and turns into a spider "you gotta be F'ing kidding me!")
3)Dawn Of the Dead - The new one that just came out last year, not the George Romero one. Them SOB's are fast! I thought zombies were supposed to be slow and stupid. These bastards in this version are faster than Barry Sanders!
4) Aliens - The second one with all the space marines. More Sci-Fi than horror, but man, very jumpy.
"game over dude! were all gonna F'ing die!" and "They mostly come out at night........mostly."

4:15 PM  
Blogger diablo said...

I forgot the 5) Devils Rejects by Rob Zombie. I can't even describe how distubing that was. My wife almost walked out of the theater.

4:19 PM  
Blogger camojack said...

piperbastard:
Evil Dead 2 ROCKS!
(I like the comedic aspects, too)

I'LL SWALLOW YOUR SOUL!!!

7:49 PM  
Blogger Libby Gone™ said...

uireuEveryone,
Watch out for that piper fellow. He is just a guitarist in a band that has an AWESOME bass player.
MUWAHAHAHAHAHHHHAHAHAHHAHAHAH!

6:09 PM  
Blogger Libby Gone™ said...

pgqoght
sorry, excuse me.

6:10 PM  
Blogger diablo said...

bassist is good except he likes all that really heavy metal shit. I'm more into soft rock myself.

6:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home