Name:
Location: Mitch Chee Gon, United States

Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Autumn



Halloween is over again for another year. Time to put away the goblins and Frankenstein movies. Begin preparations for the Holidays. Thanksgiving in just about Three weeks and Christmas a month later. For now time to enjoy the Fall. Fall? I have to assume it means the annual falling of the leaves of the decidious trees. Never did research it. For me it has always been a season of Romance. Not the Spring, mans heart lightly turns,blah blah blah. Real Romance.
This is the time people make last preparations for the winter up here in 'da Nort. In Mitch Chee Gon, final canning and preserving are completed. In day of old, root cellars were packed full of roots(This means potatoes,carrots, turnips, rutabaga to city folk),fruit,and canned goods. Cucumbers, beans, tomatoes, corn were harvested from gardens and put up. Spices like parsley, rosemary,dill were dried and stored.
I am fortunate, being born in the 60's, I still got to see good people do this.
My Mom is an expert. My wife also is.
I fear our society has become dependant on industrialized food production.
Not me.
God willing I'm going to fill the freezer with DELICIOUS BUCK MEAT shortly. My boys eat it willingly, and Mrs. Gone prepares it spectactularly.
But back to Autumn.
So many senses excited. The leaves changing,falling. Racing against each other across the road, only to turn and race back. Like school children chasing the man with the ball.
My Bear Cat fluffing out, Cocoa maturing, honing his mousing skills.
Boys hyped up from a bag of loot Oct 31st.
Memories.
Mrs. and I engaged, reading our favorite books on a blanket, under the maples at my parents house. Looking to the future. Vivaldi, Mozart,Respighi,Bach,Holst, music lives in our souls.
The Wooly Caterpillars are on the move. Birds are flocking.
Good time for bonfires and cleaning up the yard.
Longing for a woodland walk with my loved one in a warm sweater.
Apple cider, doughnuts and the occasional adult beverage, bring the season into perspective.
I sometimes feel bad for those who never have experienced a Mitch Chee Gon Autumn.
The toads and frogs and crickets are quieting,shame. Miss their lulabyes.
Mars is beconing, shining bright.
Moon waning in the sky.
Snow soon, for sure.
Time to put away the power washer.And tiller.
Turkey dinners and gifts galore,
Soon to be covering Libby's table and floor,
May God give all of you so much more,
But let not us ever forget our Savior.


In prayers of happiness and health to all my Family and Freinds, everywhere.
I Love You All.

18 Comments:

Blogger Nylecoj said...

Libby,
I am not just speechless I am breathless. You evoked more with your words than a MI autumn.
Anyone reading can not help but remember their own autumns fondly and think of future autumns with promise and potential.

8:43 PM  
Blogger camojack said...

Nice post; and we love you, too...BUT, I hate dealing with all the leaves I'll have to rake on my wooded acreage.

3:42 AM  
Blogger MargeinMI said...

I live about 10 miles from Libby. I can absolutely TESTIFY with him about Michigan's beauty. It's absolutely my favorite season out here in the country. Wish I had a digital camera to share some views!

We've been exceptionally blessed with delicious weather this year. Trick-or-Treaters were treated to 54 degrees. Rain started one hour after it was over.

Great post Libby. You captured it beautifully.

7:52 AM  
Blogger MargeinMI said...

camo:

Mulch baby, MULCH!

7:53 AM  
Blogger Libby Gone™ said...

Thanks all,
Yea I live on 6+ acres mostly wooded and I have my work cut out for me. I don't mind though, it's beautiful.

8:16 AM  
Blogger diablo said...

What do you mean, you love us? You mean in a prison sort of way?

6:02 PM  
Blogger diablo said...

perv

6:02 PM  
Blogger Libby Gone™ said...

I expected that from you Piper. Heartless bastage. Mrs. Piper is a Saint!

6:13 PM  
Blogger UpNorthLurkin said...

Wonderful picture painted with your eloquent words. Thank you! Try looking at a grove of trees turning color in autumn and then tell me it's not part of a Grand Plan!! Try looking at that last rose of the fall and not get a catch in your throat. Thank God for the beauty around us!

6:23 PM  
Blogger MargeinMI said...

upnorth,

I just commented to a friend today that I don't understand how people can argue against Intelligent Design with the display of beauty that nature gives us. Random? I think not.

6:55 PM  
Blogger camojack said...

MargeinMI:
I bought a mulching mower, after trashing my previous mower...then proceeded to trash that 'un, too.
(I really need to trim some stumps)

PS: I'm right with you on the "random" factor of Autumnal splendor...

8:04 AM  
Blogger MargeinMI said...

Hey Libby,

Get some nice kindling from that wind storm yesterday? Weeping Willows are VERY messy trees. I have 3 close to the house. My burnpit overfloweth!

Fortunately, it didn't get too cold last night. Power was out from 3:00 p.m. to 10:30 a.m. God Bless DTE.

Camojack,

Thanks for sharing your mower woes with me. :o) I don't feel like such a terror on 18-1/2 hp that way.

Finished my mulching today. That wind yesterday brought down the rest of my leaves and moved 1/2 of them to the neighbor's lawn. ;0) No worries, she's got a John Deere!

5:03 PM  
Blogger Libby Gone™ said...

Marge,
Yea we lost power to, but thankfully only from about 11:30am til 2:00pm. Same here lots of twigs and left over leaves. I didn't mind 'cept I was in 'da wood Paintballing and thought the limbs were going to get me first.
Cool moon tonight. Might have to expand on the Autumn post.....
Thanks all for looking in.

9:08 PM  
Blogger camojack said...

MargeinMI:
I did manage to get another mower running, and the grass cut, on Friday...I was really careful around those freakin' stumps though, let me tell ya!

4:02 AM  
Blogger Hawkeye® said...

Libby,
Sorry, but I thought I had commented here earlier. Read your piece, but I guess I never got around to complimenting you on how good it is.

I love the fall colors, but I'm not crazy about the leaves personally. I use my Weapon of Grass Destruction to just mulch everything into oblivion.

'Course, I ain't got all that much lawn here in Downtown, NJ. (Not to say that I couldn't have it if I wanted it... but I don't, so I don't... want it, have it, that is.)

Are ya keepin' up, or have I totally confused ya? Anyway, thanks for a wonderful word picture.... oh, and...

Best regards,
Hawkeye®

8:13 PM  
Blogger Hawkeye® said...

P.S.--- Don't tell anybody I said this... (whisper mode) but we love you too.

8:21 PM  
Blogger Donwatcher said...

Shades of Aldo Leopold...

10:14 AM  
Blogger Libby Gone™ said...

Thank you Hawkeye.
Sorry for lack of more recent posts, busy with work, family, and etc. I have a good Idea churning so expect something new very soon!

8:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home