Name:
Location: Mitch Chee Gon, United States

Tuesday, August 23, 2005

My Meteorite?


Over the past two years I have built the "Man Cave". This has conquered ground to re-establish the HOBBY EMPIRE.
Some people call it a garage.
The Model Railroad, Rockets, and R/C Airplane will have their stories told.
Most intersesting, in landscaping the concrete apron was this discovery. I "borrowed" topsoil from my pond area behind my woods for fill. This helped expand the pond and provided fill dirt.
Raking out the topsoil, I saw a small clump of dirt. In the best of intelligence, I went to crush it with my Timberland.
A series of Exclamations issues forth from my mouth. Some of a different tongue.
I realized as I professed forgiveness for my uttering, I had stomped a rock. Not just an ordinary rock, I believe a meteorite.
Now I have seen a few rocks. Since 8 (eight) I had to pick rocks out of the fields until better opportunities arrived. Dad and Gramps insisted. I have NEVER seen a rock like this. Everyone I have showed agrees.
The surface looks as if it was SMELTED,pores are evacuated of material. Small magnets attach themselves. The small chunk was hammered off with a 3 pound sledge. It actually looks and has the texture of being "burnt". Like Volcanic, yet, in Michigan?
Curious, I set it aside for a few months this spring, 2005.
Then rereading my Mitch Chee Gon history books, I was enlightened.
Massive Fire Storms wiped out Michigans Thumb Area in 1871 and 1881. (If you can't figure out where the "Thumb" is, don't bother reading on....)
Many saw "fire" falling from the sky prior to being forced from their abodes. Could Meteorites have caused the dried tree tops and dead fall from the lumbering to catch? Perhaps. Many Carbonaceous chondrite meteorite have been discovered in the area.
4 inches in diameter, approx 12 inches in circumference. 2 pounds.
Someday I'll get it tested.
Until then, maybe I'll just imagine....

6 Comments:

Blogger camojack said...

Hey, that's MY meteorite!

Where was it?

4:14 AM  
Blogger Libby Gone™ said...

kajun,
I though about that seriously. I really should get it tested. I'm also concerned about that one episode of X-files, where the slugs come out of a meteorite and..... While I'm not in the market for more chitlins, I still want to go through the motions...

6:45 AM  
Blogger MargeinMI said...

Velllllly interesting. Michigan has a fascinating geological past underground due to glacial activity of the last Ice Age. I'd never heard of the meteors coming down like rain in the thumb though. Maybe THAT's what's been messing with my mower! ;o)

From the looks of the picture, it does look just like the ones I saw on Discovery recently. You should get it checked out. Depending where you keep it, you could have glow in the dark model trains! Cooooool!

4:33 PM  
Blogger Libby Gone™ said...

Kajun,
Thanks for the tip, now how do I get the film out of my digital camera?
Margeinmi,
They may be the cause of your mowers trouble, I hear camo has been misplacing them everywhere.

9:22 PM  
Blogger Hawkeye® said...

Libby Gone™,
Cool rock. If that's not a meteorite, then it's one mean lookin' buffalo chip... musta hurt like the Dickens!

2:45 PM  
Blogger MargeinMI said...

DARN that camojack!

6:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home