Name:
Location: Mitch Chee Gon, United States

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Model Railroad


I received my first "toy train" at Christmas of 1971. A MARX brand O scale "Big Rail Work Set". I have forever loved Trains and the relationship they built between my father and me. Not so oddly enough my father received Marx trains for Christmas in the fifties, and my sons get Lionel now.
Model Railroading taught me alot. Art, some say Folk Art. Electricity. Construction of simple wood tables lead to the all out dementia of ultimately building my own house. The appreciation of Architecture, and Landscapes. Drafting and Engineering. This was almost unconsciously learned as the ABSOLUTE FUN of creating and collecting was the driving force.
As a married (to an EXTREMELY UNDERSTANDING wife) man I have collected a remarkable number of interesting trains, scale, tinplate and toy. This collection literally dates from 1971 (although certain pieces predate World War Two). Truly a lifetime acquisition. Two rather complete scale layouts have been operable and nearly complete scenery wise( NO layout is ever complete until the creator dies). The last was dismantled in 1998 when we moved into our new house. Lacking the room to resurrect the Monster I had to wait until this year to create another scale world. The Man Cave (read attached garage with 16 x 36 foot loft) is now occupied and the Railroads are begging to cross country.
A smaller table is set up for Son's of Libby. They have Lionel size (1/48 quarter inch "scale") My world will feature a vast array of "HO" scale (1/87). The tables are ready now for laying track. The GENESIS of a new scale world is about to be written.
details as progress is made.....

9 Comments:

Blogger MargeinMI said...

Coooooooooool. I worked with a guy who's wife works at Lionel Headquarters. It's definitely a hobby with no end. I'd like to take up doll houses/furniture some day. I'll need a bigger work area than now though! Looking forward to the updates!

6:20 PM  
Blogger Libby Gone™ said...

Thank you, Margeinmi. I'm SOOO looking forward to working on another layout.
Nice to have all Scrappers stop by.

7:14 PM  
Blogger Libby Gone™ said...

kajun,
I never saw them in action. There is one in a park that has been maintained by Detroit Edison. I really enjoy the models as there is more "action" the rods moving, smoke puffing, and now a days, realistic sound units!

8:05 PM  
Blogger camojack said...

They have a nice train locomotive collection at The Franklin Institute in Philly...but they're not models.

4:13 AM  
Blogger MargeinMI said...

Have you been to Lionel Headquarters? I believe it's in Chesterfield Twp.

9:08 AM  
Blogger Libby Gone™ said...

Camo,they have some at Greenfield Village/Henry Ford museum in Dearborn, MI. It's been years since I've been there.
margeinmi,
Yep a few years ago before my second son was born. He is a bigger train nut than his older brother so I'm going to have to take him someday, if they are still open as Lionel is in bankruptcy.

9:47 AM  
Blogger Hawkeye® said...

Libby Gone™,
I never thought of you as a MARXist or, for that matter... as a LIONEL Richie fan. Trains are cool though. I was an American Flyer man (er, boy) myself, going back to the late 'fifties. (I also had a Radio Flyer wagon). Have FUN... and keep us posted!

Regards,
Hawkeye®

6:54 PM  
Blogger MargeinMI said...

I didn't know they were in bankrupcy, that's too bad. They're about as American as apple pie and Radio Fliers!

I think they give (gave) tours once a month, my buddy volunteered sometimes. He had one heck of a collection of the 'glassed in a box' type specimens; some worth quite a bit of $.

7:05 PM  
Blogger Libby Gone™ said...

Hawkeye, Cool. I think the youth of today miss out on some of the" simpler times". I like video games but none have ever given me the satisfaction of building a "little world".I have a small collection of Gilbert AF, debating as whether to downsize (EBAY) or not as this is another "Monster" in my life and storage areas.
margeinmi,Never fear Lionel seems to overcome setbacks. If not, there are plenty of new kids on the block. Some very high quality and interesting models. It will only increase the monetary and sentimental values of Lionel.

7:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home