Name:
Location: Mitch Chee Gon, United States

Monday, June 05, 2006

Just babbling



The soothing sound of a creek babbling, like nothing other. The syncronous gurgles and the gentle wash of water seeking that which to gravity urges it.
Lucky us Mitch Chee Gon (gan?)-ders! The state is dotted with creeks and I am so lucky to have grown up among them.
It is truly amazing what you can find living in a creek. If you never had the priviledge, let me explain.....
I didn't know as a kid that Lobsters live in Mitch Chee Gon. A little later I was taught they were crayfish. (but they dont look like a fish!!??) crawdads. (is there crawmoms??? ...kids ask a lot of silly questions) What the heck is this crustacean doing in the creek?? And why do some have one big claw and not another????
Or a small one???
And why do the claws grow back?????
Snapping turtles are a different story. Just run.
Always a ton of minners (minnows) and larger fish.
Beavers tried to engineer the waters to their advantage, and usually succeeded. My brother enjoyed engineering their profitable demise.
The frogs always sang me to sleep, still do.
Little deer take their first drinks of water from such places. Against all warnings, some boys drank too....
First Gar Pike I ever saw swam close enough to my knees to feel it in a creek opening into Lake Huron. Looked like a prehistoric nightmare. I skeedaddled. Water may have had an E Coli problem for some time after.
Uncle Cracker and I used to perform war exercises with aging model battleships in "our" creek. Both sides always lost to our delight.
Boys sometimes do these things. LOL!
One of us learned to skate on the frozen creek. Inner tubing down to it was my favorite winter sport.
One of the best parts of deer season, sitting and listening.
Take some time and find a creek. Just sit and listen. Relax.
Maybe take a really good friend.
Lifes simple pleasures.

2 Comments:

Blogger camojack said...

First Gar Pike I ever saw swam close enough to my knees to feel it in a creek opening into Lake Huron. Looked like a prehistoric nightmare. I skeedaddled. Water may have had an E Coli problem for some time after.

No Shi'ite?

12:15 AM  
Blogger MargeinMI said...

Yer a poet Libby!

And Amen. (Good place to talk to God too.)

6:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home